You know about the basics of oral healthcare. Brush your teeth at least twice per day, and more if necessary. Floss everyday. Make routine visits to the dentist. If you do all of this, you’ll probably have pretty good luck with regards to the health of your teeth. If you don’t, you may find yourself spending thousands of dollars to fix damage that could’ve been prevented.
Dental care, though, can be so much more than the basics. If you’re near me, here in Thornton, Colorado, then you might already know you’ve got a ton of options when it comes to dentists. We live in a pretty big city that’s right in the middle of one of the biggest metro areas in the country. Suffice it to say, you don’t have to settle when it comes to dentists. If there’s a dental service you’re interested in, then there’s a dentist in Thornton, Colorado who provides it.
If you’re not exactly sure what types of services we’re meaning – don’t worry, we’re going to talk specifics. Check out this list of common services that you can find in the area:
- Teeth Whitening – This is one of my favorite offerings from cosmetic dentists around the area. The truth is, over time, your teeth will darken and even may turn slightly yellow. It’s a combination of aging and eating and drinking things that stain teeth. If you’re a smoker, it’s even worse. Most will offer both in-office and take-home procedures, and bleaching is an option that can get teeth even whiter than normal. It’s definitely worth looking into.
- Dental Crowns – A crown is basically like a cap for damaged teeth, and can be as little or as much of the tooth as it needs to be. The dentist will place it over the damaged or misshapen tooth, and things will be as good as new again. They help restore appearances, but they aren’t only used for looks. Crowns prevent further damage from occurring to a tooth and allow the patient to function normally as well.
- Dental Implants – In some cases, a crown isn’t enough. Perhaps a tooth is missing or so badly damaged that it must be extracted. To replace the gap in the teeth, a good cosmetic dentist will use a dental implant. These implants are actually designed to be placed under the gum line and fuse with the jaw bone. This provides a truly sturdy base for a prosthetic tooth. Patients with implants can use them just like normal teeth, they have great form, feel, and function.
- Emergency Dentistry – Sometimes you’ll run into an oral issue that is a real emergency. What can you do in these situations? Well, if you’re dentist has emergency services, you can get a hold of them to help you fix things. If not, you’ll have to find someone who does and it’ll probably end up costing you more money than visiting your dentist. Emergency services are incredibly valuable because you never know when something will happen – like a freak accident – that make you seek dental care.
- TMJ Treatment – TMJ is a condition that affects the jaw bone and can be quite painful to patients. If you suffer from TMJ (also known as TMD) you may feel frequent pain the jaw or ear area, headaches, ear aches, and pressure behind the eyes. Your face may also swell and you may have tender jaw muscles. A good dentist can effectively alleviate many of the symptoms of TMD, though there is no exact cure. Treatment helps relax the jaw muscle and improves strength in the area.
- Dentures – Sometimes it’s necessary to have all your teeth pulled. It could be a direct result from a lack of care, or it could be another disease or disorder that damaged your teeth. Either way, you don’t want to walk around with just gums for the rest of your life, so you’ll want to look into dentures. There may be a negative stigma attached with the product, but they really aren’t bad at all, and almost nobody will realize you’re wearing them.
This list represents just a few of the services provided by Thornton dentists. If you’re on the hunt for someone new to look after your oral health, this guide is a great place to start.
Remember, dental care is essential to your overall health. If you let your teeth get rotted or badly damaged, you’re going to be in for a world of pain – psychically and monetarily. Make visits to the dentist at least twice per year, and brush and floss daily at home.